Sunday, January 19, 2014

Lazy days Yummy dinners

This morning, I eventually decided to get out of my cozy bed and face the day. Yesterday was pretty awesome, so today had much to live up to in the books. The oldest was already downstairs, so I made my coffee and sat down in the family room with her. I tried to start the conversation a couple of times, but noticed that all my questions got in reply were gentle, delicate snores. I decided this was a perfect opportunity to plan some menus for the week and do some housework. Then, I changed my mind.

I downloaded some books that I've been meaning to read. I caught up on some blogs. I fixed myself a very yummy breakfast. A couple of times, I caught myself thinking about checking my work e-mail or doing some major job around the house. Instead, I concentrated on relaxing. I thought it was the right thing to do. On Friday morning, I heard something on NPR about relaxing. During my students' quiz, an article popped into my inbox about breathing techniques for stress relief. When I was catching up on the blogs I follow, no less than five of them were about mindfulness or stress reduction. Sometimes you get a subtle hint, other times you get smacked upside the head with a crow bar! I can take the hint.

Stress sneaks up on you. And it's not always as easy to shake as taking a hot shower or snuggling with your puppy. It takes some effort. So I started fixing it today. I did things that give me pleasure. I stood up for myself when it was time to be strong. And the plans I made for the week are going to help me be much more relaxed by this time next week!

No comments: